Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Fairport Convention on late summer days...

Not much makes me nostalgic for college, but Irish and English folk music sometimes makes me long for lazy days alone in my student apartment, windows open, breezes drifting in. Classes over or, more likely, skipped for the day. The far off sound of students coming and going, traffic out on the highway beyond the trees outside the window. Suspended between fake resonsibility and the slowly encroaching realities of Real Life...

Anyway, that was where I first really dug into artists like Nick Drake, Steeleye Span, Tommy Makem, Planxty, and, of course, Sandy Denny, Richard Thompson, and the amazing Fairport Convention.

These two Youtube clips take me right back:





"Who Knows Where the Time Goes" never fails to move me...

3 comments:

Johnny Bacardi said...

I'm assuming you've heard Steeleye's Commoner's Crown- that's an amazing little Britfolk album and by far my favorite of theirs.

I revere Sandy Denny, both solo and with Fairport, and strongly love a lot of Richard Thompson's solo work. Never could really get a taste for Fairport without Sandy and/or Richard, though...strange.

Have you listened to the Pentangle very much? Bert Jansch and John Renbourn make some wonderful music together. Here's some video of songs from my favorite of their albums:

http://jbacardi.livejournal.com/241726.html

B. Clay Moore said...

Yeah, Pentangle was another group I dug into. I dig Fairport fine without Sandy, but lose some interest when Thompson splits.

Sandy Denny is a favorite artist, though.

B. Clay Moore said...

Also, my favorite Steeleye is All Around My Hat, but Commoner's Crown is good stuff, too.