Thursday, November 06, 2008

Obama


I've exhausted myself with this election. I've been a close watcher of Presidential politics since early in college, when I was fortunate enough to be taught be a professor who I would best describe as a political animal, Dr. Mel Kahn at Wichita State University. My father, who served from 2002-2006 as the Lieutenant Governor of Kansas, runs into Mr. ("don't call me doctor") Kahn on occasion in Wichita, and he still asks about me, which means a lot to me. He once asked why I didn't consider a career as a college professor, which was heady stuff for a confused nineteen year-old, but the mere suggestion that I had that potential had an impact.

In any event, it now seems as if the only professors I paid much attention to in college were the ones who were consumed by politics, and political season always brings me back to those days.

I never thought I would see a black man elected president. But in 2004, during the Democratic National Convention, I witnessed Barack Obama give one of the most electrifying speeches I'd ever heard. His message was one of inclusion and unity, and event hough he seemed to be the only one at the convention hitting those notes, I heard his message, and knew there had to be others who heard it as well. And I knew at that moment that Obama was a man I'd one day vote for for the White House.

I just didn't think it would happen so quickly. And I had no idea that he would run the kind of campaign I'd been begging for since I was eighteen. Instead of allowing his opponent to define him, Obama took all the heat thrown his way and remained calm, cool and collected, frustrating his opponents while he plunged ahead with confidence and class. He refused to stray off message and get bogged down in divisive issues that would only cloud the important issues that needed to be addressed. And everywhere he went, he spoke in eloquent, clear language. While Fox News and bitter Conservatives tried to build an issue out of the Reverend Wright's rants, Obama released the most intelligent, well-reasoned statement on race in America ever delivered by a man running for public office. He didn't hide from his associations. He simply explained them. When Fox News devoted hour after hour to Obama's "radical" connections (connections shared by many Republicans, for what it was worth), there was no need to give in to their slavish attack dog mentality. Not when most of America felt they had gotten to know the man, and understood that the last place they needed to turn for answers was a "news" network whose primary intention was clearly to fan the fading racist embers in a no longer jittery electorate.

And when he was finally elected, I heard him mention gay people and disabled people and people who didn't vote for him. There was no ranting rhetoric or lofty platitudes that didn't seem grounded in the reality of the day. There was a clear statement of purpose wrapped in an understanding of the challenges that face us as a nation. And the international community has regained their faith in a country that has, for eight years, done nothing but scare the shit out of them thanks to the irresponsible buffoonery of our current president.

The whole thing has been nothing short of astonishing. And very moving.

This will make me sound like a guilty white liberal, but it's the truth...last night around nine, as it became more obvious that Obama was going to handily carry the day, I ran up to the local grocery store to pick something up. There weren't a lot of people shopping, but I saw a black family pushing their cart through the aisles, and I realized that that little black boy following his mother around was going to grow up in an entirely different world from the one in which his parents grew up. Telling him that he can accomplish anything in life is no longer jingoistic bullshit. There's now a man headed to the White House that provides real proof that the American Dream isn't nearly as dead as I thought it was, and this little boy will grow up knowing that even the nation's highest office is truly open to the right person for the job, regardless of their ethnic heritage.

A beautiful day in America. The angry, scared bigots and frightened name callers will still linger in the woodwork, but as a nation we've overcome their influence, and given in to hope.



Laurenn McCubbin passed along this link of photographs from Callie Shell, who's been following Obama with her camera for a couple of years now. Please take a look:

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0810/callie-bp.html

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Well said man. His speech last night, and people seeing past the typical fear-based propaganda, to actually BELIEVE that this country can be great for EVERYONE actually melted the cold cockle of my grinchy heart.

mar said...

Word.

Seth said...

It was a great day in American history, and we were there for it.

Joseph Tages said...

Excellent essay, Clay. Great work.

I often wondered if there were still times in our lives that could define a generation. The world has become so horribly jaded that the thought of politics generating Roosevelt or Kennedy levels of enthusiasm seemed impossible to achieve anymore.

Obama proved me wrong. I have supported him since he announced his bid in Springfield and it is satisfying to know that so many others shared the same ideals as I do.

One good man can still make a difference. No small feat given the last eight years, but Barack Obama has shown everyone on both sides of the aisle that it is
possible.

That might be the greatest lesson his campaign has given us.

Olivier said...

<6>hi!nice to meet you,if you are free welcome to my blog!納豆菌株,104法拍,法拍,法拍,法拍法拍資訊拍,法拍法拍公告,法拍流程,法拍,高雄法拍,法拍,台中法拍,法拍,台北法拍,法拍,新竹法拍,苗栗法拍,桃園法拍,雲林法拍,法拍嘉義法拍,法拍台南法拍,屏東法拍,花蓮法拍,台東法拍,蘇澳法拍,104法拍屋,法拍屋,法拍屋資訊,法拍屋公告,法拍屋流程,高雄法拍屋,台中法拍屋,台北法拍屋,新竹法拍屋,苗栗法拍屋,桃園法拍屋,雲林法拍屋,台南法拍屋,嘉義法拍屋,法拍屋,屏東法拍屋,台東法拍屋,屏東法拍屋,花蓮法拍屋,屏東法拍屋,蘇澳法拍屋,三泰製藥,三泰保健,三泰保健食品公司,保健食品,三泰保健食品,三泰食品,保健,保健食品,樟芝,牛樟芝,紅樟芝,樟芝食品,樟芝膠囊,納豆,三泰納豆,納豆素,納豆膠囊,納豆食品,銀杏

Olivier said...

<7>i like your bolg,welcome to my website,please!悅豪MOTEL,郭鴻璋不孕症,不孕症,不孕症治療,高雄不孕症,不孕症醫師,不孕症診所,不孕症婦產科,人工受孕,人工受孕,郭鴻璋人工受孕,高雄人工受孕,人工受孕診所,人工受孕醫師,精蟲分離,郭鴻璋精蟲分離,高雄精蟲分離,精蟲分離診所,精蟲分離醫師,婦產科,高雄婦產科,郭鴻璋婦產科,婦產科醫師,婦產科診所,多囊性卵巢,多囊性卵巢治療,試管嬰兒,郭鴻璋試管嬰兒,試管嬰兒治療,高雄試管嬰兒,試管嬰兒診所,試管嬰兒醫師,試管嬰兒費用,肉毒桿菌,郭鴻璋肉毒桿菌,肉毒桿菌治療,高雄肉毒桿菌,肉毒桿菌費用,日光花園,MOTEL,高雄日光花園,日光花園MOTEL,日光花園高雄MOTEL,高雄MOTEL,MOTEL高雄,汽車旅館,高雄汽車旅館,日光花園汽車旅館,精品汽車旅館,汽車旅館住宿,汽車旅館休息,汽車旅館價格,悅豪,悅豪精品旅館,台中motel,住宿台中,motel,台中motel悅豪MOTEL,台中悅豪MOTEL,MOTEL價格,台中住宿,住宿,MOTEL,飯店住宿,台中汽車旅館,汽車旅館,精品汽車旅館