Saturday, July 28, 2007

Con Days Go By

I'm not at San Diego, but I am home alone. I'm watching Welcome to the Parker on Bravo. All I can tell you is that Joey Big-Time, bartender, is an asshole.

Reading all of the announcements out of Comic-Con is mildly depressing. You want to be out there promoting stuff, talking your books up, and sitting in Kansas City while everyone else is doing that sucks. I've decided that, at the very least, I'm going to do something at Newsarama or CBR during Wizard World Chicago, outlining plans for the next few months. I can at least discuss Hawaiian Dick and '76. Hopefully by then I can discuss JSA CLASSIFIED in more detail, as well as my second DC tidbit (I really want to talk about the art team). I have my fingers crossed that a DC pitch is approved between now and Chicago, as well as a new creator-owned book that will make people go, "No shit??" Also waiting on contracts on some Oni stuff, so I could chat about those. And Jeremy and I have been talking with a publisher about what may be the coolest license out there (go ahead and guess! I dare you!). And, actually, a second almost as cool license. In a perfect world, this stuff would all come through soon, and I could breathe a little easier. Sadly, the world is not perfect, my friends.

One encouraging thing to emerge from Comic-Con (via late night phone calls) is that Universal has a director attached to the Leading Man, and he and his writing partner actually skipped San Diego to work on the script. I'm not exactly sure why Oni hasn't announced this, but I'm sure they or UTA (their representing agency) have their reasons. Whatever the case, I'm very happy with the guys involved, so I hope it all comes together.

Speaking of Oni, Cullen Bunn and Brian Hurtt's THE DAMNED was optioned by Dreamworks. If you haven't read this book, do so now. I read the first issue months ago, but sat down and read the trade last week, and it's as entertaining a comic as I've read in a while. A real rarity.

1 comment:

Ghost Image said...

Are the licenses... Diff'rent Strokes and The Facts of Life? You could finally hook up Mr. Drummond and Mrs. Garrett!! and maybe Tootie's good example could keep Arnold and Willis from going so horribly wrong!! Just my thoughts, I am sure you have much greater plans in place for Arnold, Jo and the rest!!